qemu-devel

Re: roms/efirom, tests/uefi-test-tools: update edk2's own submodules fir

From: Olaf Hering
Subject: Re: roms/efirom, tests/uefi-test-tools: update edk2's own submodules first
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 14:30:15 +0200

Am Wed, 21 Oct 2020 14:05:18 +0200
schrieb Laszlo Ersek <lersek@redhat.com>:

> Olaf: if you build QEMU from source, why don't you build SeaBIOS, iPXE,
> edk2 etc *also* from their corresponding pristine upstream clones /
> checkouts, using your own dedicated build scripts / packagings?

From my perspective it is like that:

I export xen/qemu/libivrt into an offline environment for building.
The "git clone/git export" is done without submodules, but each required
submodule is of course cloned/exported as well into the target directory. In
the end it is me who decides what is required or not, which means only a subset
of all submodules need to be provided. The build process sees the complete
source, and as a result nothing needs to be downloaded.

With current master there are these two offending git commands. In my
environment they can not do anything but fail. I guess once the next qemu-X.Y
release becomes available as the usual "qemu-X.Y.tar.xz" release these git
commands will fail as well with 'make -C roms efirom'.

As said elsewhere, the correct approach might be to check what is missing and
download only these submodules. This should take the existing configure knobs
into account.

Olaf