qemu-devel

Re: [PULL v2 00/22] Build system + misc changes for 2020-10-16

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [PULL v2 00/22] Build system + misc changes for 2020-10-16
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 18:37:00 +0200

On 17/10/20 17:37, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 17/10/20 16:39, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> Library iconv found: NO
>> ../src/meson.build:531: WARNING: iconv required for curses UI but not
>> available, disabling
>
> I'm not sure if that will remove the warning or not, but I'll check (and
> if it does remain, it'll be of the "useful" kind which documents some
> unexpected dependency between options).

Ok, so the warning remains when everything is fixed, though the text is
slightly different (and better):

  Library iconv found: NO
  Run-time dependency ncursesw found: NO (tried pkgconfig)
  Library ncursesw found: YES
  Library cursesw found: NO
  ../src/meson.build:540: WARNING: curses library not usable, disabling

In this case, meson.build warns because curses doesn't always have a .pc
file; therefore when meson.build doesn't find the headers it can't but
proceed without curses suport.

The "library found"/"curses support disabled" situation is a bit
confusing, which is why I've been adding some kind of message for those
few cases in which we cannot just use pkg-config.  (The multipath test
is already warning, but those libraries are a bit niche so you probably
don't even have the libraries installed).

Peter, I would like your input on these two things:

1) are you going to pull v3 and I can fix up everything later?  Or would
you prefer me to send v4 once the new curses test is reviewed?

2) would you prefer the "library was found but headers weren't" to warn,
issue an informative message, or be completely silent?

Paolo