qemu-devel

Re: QEMU API cleanup initiative - Let's chat during the KVM call

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: QEMU API cleanup initiative - Let's chat during the KVM call
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 14:45:52 +0100

On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 08:14:11PM -0400, John Snow wrote:
> I would like to use the KVM call to discuss a roadmap for converting the
> remaining options to QAPI, what that would take, and who will take ownership
> for which subsystems/flags. I would like to bring these discussions to KVM
> Forum and lend serious, dedicated effort to finishing this task.

Subsystem maintainers will need to review these patches. Hopefully many
of them are willing to do the conversion themselves. Code examples for
common conversions would help (e.g. QemuOpts to QAPI, strtol() to QAPI,
etc).

Do error messages need to be preserved? For example, maybe the input
validation order or the actual error message is different with QAPI and
that may affect programs that launch QEMU.

Is there any way to detect incompatible command-line changes besides
running make check? One idea is to run a fuzzer to check if certain
inputs are accepted by the new/old version but not the other.

Stefan