qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 0/3] Fixes 20200825 patches

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [PULL 0/3] Fixes 20200825 patches
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 17:40:04 +0100

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 05:29:44PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 06:13, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 11:23:58AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > >
> > > Also we need figure out how to handle the conflict between
> > > "gitlab's git repo is mirrored (by perodic push?) from
> > > git.qemu.org" and "test by pushing to the gitlab staging
> > > branch", because the former overwrites the changes that
> > > the latter makes.
> >
> > Pushing to a qemu fork runs CI too, so the staging branch doesn't have
> > to live in the official qemu-project repo.
>
> We aren't going to let the project's gitlab runners (the aarch64,
> s390x, etc systems) run just anybody's CI jobs, because they're
> a very limited resource: they will only run for things pushed
> to the official repo.

Runners are registered to the project, so we could create a separate
gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu-staging  repo just for purpose of CI
and that would have access to the runners.

I don't know how the mirroring is setup currently, but if we use
GitLab's own pull based mirroring, you can configure it to only
mirror protected branches.  We could thus mark "master" and any
stable branches as protected.  GitLab should then mirror those,
without overwriting any other branches you have. So that ought
to let you create a staging branch in the main repo.

Regards,
Daniel