qemu-devel

Re: Live Migration (L2 network)

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: Live Migration (L2 network)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 20:09:09 +0100

* William Lima Reiznautt (willreli@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I hope everything is well.

Hi,

> Sorry about that doubt in this channel.

No, it's the right place to ask!

> I have a doubt about live migration interacting with layer 2 network, when
> the live migration is running. How does the qemu signal the switch network
> that the qemu instance changes port ? Because when the qemu migration to
> another port switch, the switch has a time to understand that flow is
> changed.
>
> I saw the dump traffic in live migration and I noticed that one packet
> (RARP). "This packet is created by qemu."
>
> Does anyone know if there is documentation on this?

I'm not sure we have documentation, but the code is in net/announce.c in
recent qemu.
When the migration has finished we send an ARP and then, when it starts
running, we tell the guest to send a RARP;  we send those a few times
to make sure we don't miss it.
Those are normally enough for the switch to realise that the VM
has moved port;  some very complex switch setups are less forgiving - in
recent qemu's you can send the announce again later and/or change the
timing of it.

Dave