qemu-devel

Re: please try to avoid sending pullreqs late on release-candidate day

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: please try to avoid sending pullreqs late on release-candidate day
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 12:50:20 +0100

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 10:36, Kevin Wolf <kwolf@redhat.com> wrote:

> Am 21.07.2020 um 17:56 hat Peter Maydell geschrieben:
> > It is not helpful if everybody sends their pullrequests late
> > on the Tuesday afternoon, as there just isn't enough time in the
> > day to merge test and apply them all before I have to cut the tag.
> > Please, if you can, try to send pullrequests earlier, eg Monday.
>
> I sent the majority of my fixes for -rc1 on Friday, not the least to
> give us some time in case we get a testing failure. However, the earlier
> you send the pull request, the greater the chance that you get some new
> patches after the pull request. In this case, the patches were only
> ready Tuesday afternoon, so even sending on Monday instead of Friday
> wouldn't have helped.

Patches that arrive and are only ready Tuesday afternoon are
naturally at risk of slipping into the next RC. That's OK.
Though when we get to rc2/rc3 you should warn me when you
expect that so I can make a decision about whether it's better
to slip the rc by a day to wait for them.

> The alternative would have been letting them wait for -rc2. I suppose
> you can always says "too late" and make that decision for me, but I
> wouldn't want to unnecessarily move things to a later RC. Do you think
> we shouldn't send a pull request in case of doubt?

Mostly what I mean is "don't assume that because RC day is Tuesday
that you can send a pullreq on Tuesday and have it get into the RC".
If it turns out that you have to do that, that's not a big problem.
What is a problem is if half a dozen submaintainers all send a
pullreq at once on the Tuesday afternoon. So in the situation where
you don't anticipate anything much late arriving then send it earlier.

> Can you test multiple pull requests at once?

I could in theory I guess, but my scripting assumes one at once.

thanks
-- PMM