qemu-devel

Re: [RFC 3/3] x68: acpi: trigger SMI before scanning for hotplugged CPUs

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: [RFC 3/3] x68: acpi: trigger SMI before scanning for hotplugged CPUs
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 15:43:09 +0200

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 14:38:00 +0200
Laszlo Ersek <lersek@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 07/14/20 17:19, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 14:41:28 +0200
> > Laszlo Ersek <lersek@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> Furthermore, the "CPU plug operation in progress" flag should be:
> >> - either migrated,
> >> - or a migration blocker.
> >>
> >> Because on the destination host, device_add should be possible if and
> >> only if the plug operation completed (either still on the source host,
> >> or on the destination host).
> >
> > I have a way more simple alternative idea, which doesn't involve libvirt.
> >
> > We can change AML to
> >   1. cache hotplugged CPUs from controller
> >   2. send SMI
> >   3. send Notify event to OS to online cached CPUs
> > this way we never INIT/SIPI cpus that FW hasn't seen yet
> > as for FW, it can relocate extra CPU that arrived after #1
> > it won't cause any harm as on the next SCI AML will pick up those
> > CPUs and SMI upcall will be just NOP.
> >
> > I'll post a patch here on top of this series for you to try
> > (without any of your comments addressed yet, as it's already written
> > and I was testing it for a while to make sure it won't explode
> > with various windows versions)
>
> Sounds good, I'll be happy to test it.
>
> Indeed "no event" is something that the fw deals with gracefully. (IIRC
> I wanted to cover a "spurious SMI" explicitly.)
is it possible to distinguish "spurious SMI" vs hotplug SMI,
if yes then we probably do not care about any other SMIs except hotplug one.

> It didn't occur to me that you could dynamically size e.g. a package
> object in AML. Based on my reading of the ACPI spec, "VarPackageOp" can
> take a *runtime* "NumElements", so if you did two loops, the first loop
> could count the pending stuff, and then a VarPackageOp could be used
> with just the right NumElements... Anyway, I digress :)

well, it's mine field since Windows implement only a subset of spec
and VarPackageOp is not avalable on all version that support hotplug.
I think, I've narrowed language down to supported subset, so I need
to complete another round of testing to see if I didn't break anything
by accident.