qemu-devel

Re: Separate notifications from list messages?

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: Separate notifications from list messages?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 13:43:14 +0200

On 10/07/2020 11.24, Liviu Ionescu wrote:

>> On 10 Jul 2020, at 11:54, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> This wasn't a mistake - it was very delibrate, precisely so that all
>> involved in QEMU development will see the failures, instead of expecting
>> a handful of people to take all the work of dealing with failures. In
>> general anyone who's a regular contributor has a shared responsibility
>> to help keep QEMU building reliably.
>
> Yes, sure, but the typical workflow allows anyone to submit contributions,
> these contributions are automatically checked by CI, and if they pass,
> someone with administrative rights merges them into the repo.
>
> Thus the main responsibility for dealing with failures goes to the
> contributor, there is little the community can do to fix the failures.

Ok, I think here's the misunderstanding: The Gitlab messages that you
can see currently on the list are from the main repository, not from a
contributor's private repo! Yes, there is currently quite a bit broken
in master, and that's why you get all these messages via the mailing
list. Before Philippe turned them on, they went almost unnoticed, apart
from some few people who used gitlab on their own. Now these problems
get at least some more attention ;-)

 Thomas