qemu-devel

Re: Migrating custom qemu.org infrastructure to GitLab

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: Migrating custom qemu.org infrastructure to GitLab
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 12:33:58 +0200

On 09/07/20 12:22, Thomas Huth wrote:
> FWIW, seems like we could use the "pandoc" tool to convert Mediawiki
> (our old Wiki) to Markdown (Gitlab wiki). I've done a quick test and
> converted https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/MailingLists into
> few clicks.
>
> But the longer I look at most Wiki pages, the more I think that we
> should convert the important pages rather into a part of qemu-web
> instead. I'll have a closer look and will suggest some patches when time
> permits...

The wiki was cleaned up more or less at the same time as the
qemu-web.git repo was created (actually as a prerequisite), it's
actually not in a bad shape.  The idea was that the wiki kept:

- stuff that really belonged in documentation (such as completed
features and developer information)

- stuff that needs to be edited quickly (such as feature pages or or
internship ideas)

- developer-targeted information that doesn't belong in documentation
(such as CI status), even if it's linked from qemu.org (e.g.
https://www.qemu.org/contribute/

while qemu-web got the more user-targeted information.  This is because
updating qemu-web is a bit slower, requiring review and all that.

We can certainly move some wiki pages to qemu-web, like we did for
"report a bug" in the past and like Alex did recently for the
Conservancy page.  But I think there aren't that many left, most of them
are in the first category above and should be moved to docs/devel (for
example https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch).

Once we have docs CI on GitLab we can easily link to them from
qemu-web.git, so setting up docs CI is probably a good first step
towards relying more on GitLab and also cleaning up the wiki.

Paolo