qemu-devel

Re: Race with atexit functions in system emulation

From: Pavel Dovgalyuk
Subject: Re: Race with atexit functions in system emulation
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 10:54:14 +0300

On 02.07.2020 10:49, Alex Bennée wrote:

Pavel Dovgalyuk <pavel.dovgaluk@gmail.com> writes:

Is it true, that semihosting can be used to access (read and write) host
files from the guest?

They can - but in these test cases we are only using semihosting for
console output and signalling an exit code at the end of the test. I
don't think that gets in the way of record/replay (aside from the exit
race described).

Ok.

In such a case it can't be used with RR for the following reasons:
1. We don't preserve modified files, therefore the execution result may
change in the future runs.
2. Even in the case, when all the files are read only, semihosting FDs
can't be saved, therefore it may not be used with reverse debugging.

This raises a wider question of what is the best way to indicate support
(or lack of support) for a particular device to a user? Do we need a
"replay aware" list or annotation?

There is a replay blocker, which is set at the command-line parsing phase.
E.g., user gets an error when tries to enable -smp >1.

Pavel Dovgalyuk