qemu-devel

Re: [RISU v2 14/17] Add magic and size to the trace header

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [RISU v2 14/17] Add magic and size to the trace header
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 17:59:57 +0100

Richard Henderson <address@hidden> writes:

> On 5/18/20 7:53 PM, Richard Henderson wrote:
>> +    if (master_header.magic != RISU_MAGIC ||
>> +        master_header.risu_op != op ||
>> +        master_header.size != extra_size) {
>> +        res = RES_MISMATCH_HEAD;
>> +        goto fail_header;
>>      }
>
> Hmm.  This isn't ideal.
>
> Consider e.g. an insn being tested that should pass, so master steps past the
> insn to the UDF and sends OP_COMPARE.  But there's a bug in the emulator being
> tested so the apprentice gets SIGILL on the insn and so op ==
> OP_SIGILL.

In my experience this is one of the major failure modes as usually it's
a decode error or a -cpu version error that leads you to go astray.

That said most useful additional piece of information to dump would be
the insn word of the failing PC. We even know if one is on a RISU_OP and
one isn't so we can be a bit more expressive.

--
Alex Bennée