qemu-devel

Re: sharing intention for developing per-target, dynamically loadable ac

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: sharing intention for developing per-target, dynamically loadable accelerator modules
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 19:18:01 +0100

Claudio Fontana <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> my intention would be to develop per-target, dynamically loadable accelerator
> modules.
>
> This would allow to distribute a single QEMU base binary, and then provide
> accelerators as optional additional binary packages to install,
> with the first separate optional package being TCG.
>
> CONFIG_TCG would become 'm' as a result, but then also CONFIG_KVM,
> CONFIG_HAX, CONFIG_WHPX, CONFIG_HVF.
>
> Here are some elements that seem to be needed:
>
> 1 - The module CONFIG_MODULE part of the build system would need some
> extension to add per-target modules. I have some tentative results that shows
> that this is possible (but a bit clunky atm).
>     There is some existing instability in the existing Makefile
> infrastructure of modules that shows up when trying to extend it.
>
> 2 - new "accelerator drivers" seems to be needed, either in addition or as
> additional functionality inside the current AccelState.
>
> 3 - for target/i386 in particular, there is some refactoring work needed to
> split even more different unrelated bits and pieces.
>     dependencies of hw/i386 machine stuff with accelerator-specific
> stuff are also painful.

There are a couple of per-arch hacks in the main TCG cpu loops it would
be good to excise from the code.

> 4 - CPU Arch Classes could be extended with per-accelerator methods. Initial
> fooling around shows it should probably work.
>     One alternative would be trying to play with the dynamic linker (weak
> symbols, creative use of dlsym etc), but I have not sorted out the details of
> this option.
>
> 5 - cputlb, in particular tlb_flush and friends is a separate problem
> since it is not part of the cpuclass. Should it be?

tlb_flush and friends are TCG implementation details for softmmu that
ensure a lookup for any address will always return to a guest specific
tlb_fill to rebuild the cache. The behaviour is not guest-specific
per-se although we do partition the table entries based on the guest
size.

Perhaps we can make it more dynamic but it would have to ensure both the
slow path and the fast path are using the same mask and shifts when
walking the table.

> 6 - a painpoint is represented by the fact that in USER mode, the accel class
> is not applied, which causes a lot of uncleanliness all around
>     (tcg_allowed outside of the AccelClass).

The user-mode run loops are a whole separate chunk of code. I don't know
if it is worth trying to make them plugable as you will only ever have
one per linux-user binary.

> 7 - I have not really thought about the KConfig aspects because I am not
> super-familiar
>
> 8 - cpus.c needs some good splitting

Although there are several different run loops in there I think they
share a lot of commonality which is why they are bundled together. They
all share the same backend for dealing with ioevents and generic
pause/unpause machinery. But feel free to prove me wrong ;-)

> ... more things to find out and think about ...
>
> Overall, I think that the activity has the potential to provide benefits
> overall beyond the actual goal, in the form of cleanups, leaner
> configurations,
> minor fixes, maybe improving the CONFIG_MODULE instabilities if any
> etc.

There are certainly some ugly bits we could shave down in such an
exercise.

> As an example, the first activity I would plan to submit as RFC is point 8
> above,
> there is the split between cpus.c and cpus-tcg.c that results in lots of
> TCG-specific code being removed from non-tcg builds (using CONFIG_TCG).
>
> One thing that should be kept in check is any performance impact of
> the changes, in particular for point 4, hot paths should probably
> avoid going through too many pointer indirections.

Maybe - certainly for TCG you have pretty much lost if you have exited
the main execution loop I doubt it would show up much. Not so sure about
the HW accelerators. Most of the performance sensitive stuff is dealt
with close to the ioctls IIRC.

> Does anybody share similar goals? Any major obstacle or blocker that would
> put the feasibility into question?
> Any suggestion on any of this? In particular point 4 and 5 come to
> mind, as well as some better understanding of the reasons behind 6, or
> even suggestions on how to best to 2.

For linux-user each CPU run loop is it's own special snowflake because
pretty much every architecture has it's own special set of EXCP_ exits
to deal with various bits. There are per-arch EXCP_ flags for system
emulation as well but not nearly as many.

--
Alex Bennée