qemu-devel

Re: proposal: deprecate -readconfig/-writeconfig

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: proposal: deprecate -readconfig/-writeconfig
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 07:51:27 +0200

Daniel P. Berrangé <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:40:40AM -0400, John Snow wrote:

>> > Libvirt would like to have a config file for QEMU, but it would have
>> > to be one that actually covers all the config options QEMU supports,
>> > and ideally using a data format in common with that used for runtime
>> > changes. So for libvirt's needs the current readconfig is entirely
>> > useless.
>> >

>> Yeah. In this sense, would a json/yaml config file help, under the
>> premise that you could just cat it into the pipe to configure a machine?
>>
>> (Assuming we had proper runtime configuration commands, of course.)
>
> Yeah, the key thing is that you really want to be able to provide the
> whole initial config in one go as an atomic action. I don't want to
> issue 100 individual QMP commands to load each initial device. With
> that in mind it doesn't really matter whether you do
>
>   $ qemu -qmp stdio
>   (qmp) load-config /some/file.yaml
>
> vs
>
>   $ qemu -qmp stdio -load-config /some/file.yaml
>
> though the latter is probably slightly nicer as it lets you grep
> for the VM based on the filename visible in the CLI.

Once QEMU can do the former, providing the latter should be trivial.
Not providing it would be unadvisable.

Yes, a management application that talks QMP anyway can be expected to
be quite happy with having to do initial configuration via QMP, with or
without a load-config command.

But human users won't be happy.  Having to use a wrapper program to feed
their configuration file to QMP adds undue complexity.

[...]