qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 0/6] virtiofs queue

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL 0/6] virtiofs queue
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 14:11:56 +0100

On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 20:16, Dr. David Alan Gilbert (git)
<address@hidden> wrote:

> From: "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <address@hidden>
>
> The following changes since commit 1c47613588ccff44422d4bdeea0dc36a0a308ec7:
>
>   Merge remote-tracking branch 'remotes/kevin/tags/for-upstream' into staging
> (2020-04-30 19:25:41 +0100)
>
> are available in the Git repository at:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/dagrh/qemu.git tags/pull-virtiofs-20200501
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 66502bbca37ca7a3bfa57e82cfc03b89a7a11eae:
>
>   virtiofsd: drop all capabilities in the wait parent process (2020-05-01
> 20:05:37 +0100)

> virtiofsd: Pull 2020-05-01 (includes CVE fix)
>
> This set includes a security fix, other fixes and improvements.
>
> Security fix:
> The security fix is for CVE-2020-10717 where, on low RAM hosts,
> the guest can potentially exceed the maximum fd limit.
> This fix adds some more configuration so that the user
> can explicitly set the limit.
> Thank you to Yuval Avrahami for reporting this.
>
> Fixes:
>
> Recursive mounting of the exported directory is now used in
> the sandbox, such that if there was a mount underneath present at
> the time the virtiofsd was started, that mount is also
> visible to the guest; in the existing code, only mounts that
> happened after startup were visible.
>
> Security improvements:
>
> The jailing for /proc/self/fd is improved - but it's something
> that shouldn't be accessible anyway.
>
> Most capabilities are now dropped at startup; again this shouldn't
> change any behaviour but is extra protection.

Applied, thanks.

Please update the changelog at https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/5.1
for any user-visible changes.

I notice you didn't include the usual Cc: address@hidden
lines in the commits to be backported, but I think the stable
branch maintainers can deal with the occasional manual notification.

thanks
-- PMM