qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] QEMU Gating CI

From: Cleber Rosa
Subject: Re: [RFC] QEMU Gating CI
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 15:00:19 -0500

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 02:33:54PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 at 14:06, Cleber Rosa <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > RFC: QEMU Gating CI
> > ===================
> >
> > This RFC attempts to address most of the issues described in
> > "Requirements/GatinCI"[1].  An also relevant write up is the "State of
> > QEMU CI as we enter 4.0"[2].
> >
> > The general approach is one to minimize the infrastructure maintenance
> > and development burden, leveraging as much as possible "other people's"
> > infrastructure and code.  GitLab's CI/CD platform is the most relevant
> > component dealt with here.
>
> Happy New Year! Now we're in 2020, any chance of an update on
> plans/progress here? I would very much like to be able to hand
> processing of pull requests over to somebody else after the
> 5.0 cycle, if not before. (I'm quite tempted to make that a
> hard deadline and just say that somebody else will have to
> pick it up for 5.1, regardless...)
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

Hi Peter,

Happy New Year too!

As an status update, I have some work queued up related to this work
that I need to do some minor polishing and then post to the mailing
list.  That has to do with the changes to container definition files,
and the most basic changes to the GitLab YAML configuration files to
achieve a first stage of implementation.

We'd also have to coordinate access to the existing machines in use,
so that we can validate that this proposal will work.  Just to be
extra clear, I'm available to this initial configuration on the
machines that are currently running the tests, provided you think it's
a good idea.  Also, that would also be helpful to me, as I'm learning
a lot of this stuff as I go, and there's always some tricky new
details on different environments.

PS: I'm actually on the road, but I should be settle by Tomorrow, and
I expect to resume work on this the following day.

Best Regards,
- Cleber.