qemu-devel

Re: Priority of -accel

From: Christophe de Dinechin
Subject: Re: Priority of -accel
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 17:14:49 +0100

>>> We could make it return "qtest" only on April 1st ;-P
>>
>> ... or we finally dare to let QEMU chose the "best" accelerator by
>> default if no "-accel" option has been specified...
>
> Changing a default that has ceased to make sense a decade ago?  Are you
> out of your mind?
>
> ;-P

Well, it makes perfect sense, since we select kvm first on macOS and, I guess,
all non-Linux platforms ;-)

% ./x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64
qemu-system-x86_64: invalid accelerator kvm
qemu-system-x86_64: falling back to tcg

(Fixing that knowing that CONFIG_KVM is poisoned in vl.c is left as an
exercise for the reader)

Christophe