qemu-devel

Re: illegal hardware instruction during MIPS-I ELF linuxuseremulation

From: Libo Zhou
Subject: Re: illegal hardware instruction during MIPS-I ELF linuxuseremulation
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 22:14:44 +0800

> > More updates about this. I just disassembled the unrecognized hex by hand,
> > and figured out that the store word and load word opcodes are not the same
> > as specified in translate.c. While the remaining fields of those
> > unrecognized instructions do match with the source and destination
> > registers.

> What is your compiler/assembler versions (on both machines you used)?

I don't have access to the machine for now and I may not remember the exact
version numbers.

The cross compiler I used is a custom compiler based on gcc 4.4.0 (vaguely
remember). It generated MIPS-I code that didn't work on QEMU. Specifically some
generated opcodes didn't match those in target/mips/translate.c. However, I
just checked Wikipedia's MIPS-I opcode table and I think QEMU implements it
correctly. The single and double floating point opcode looked a little off for
me though, but I didn't use FP ops in my case.

On my own PC I used mipsel-linux-gnu-gcc version 7.4.0. It just worked fine on
QEMU.