qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/8] Python queue, 2019-06-07

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/8] Python queue, 2019-06-07
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 09:50:39 +0200

Am 17.09.2019 um 23:48 hat Eduardo Habkost geschrieben:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 03:57:26PM +0200, Kevin Wolf wrote:

> > > I will remove the python2/python3 patches and send a new pull
> > > request.
> >
> > What is the plan forward with this? Are the patches dropped for good?
> >
> > I think the plan was to drop Python 2 after QEMU 4.2, and then it
> > becomes really relevant what our minimum Python 3 version is. We've just
> > had another Python version discussion in the context of iotests (John
> > suggested using function annotations, but these are >= 3.5 only).
> >
> > Also, the fallback to Python 2 obviously makes no sense any more then,
> > so maybe it's not that important to add for a single QEMU release?
> >
> > As Peter seems to have indicated above that he found a replacement for
> > the test machine with an OS that isn't out of support, can we just
> > revive this patch as it is?
>
> My plan is to remove Python 2 support in QEMU 4.2 (making the
> fallback to Python 2 a non-issue), and require Python >= 3.5.

Then I think it would be best to make (or propose at least) that change
early in the release cycle. In other words, now. :-)

> Now, even if my plan is rejected and we keep supporting Python 2
> when building QEMU 4.2, my suggestion for the iotest maintainers
> is to make it require Python 3.5+ immediately, just like we do
> for tests/acceptance.  I don't see why we should keep wasting our
> energy supporting ancient Python versions in a test suite that is
> not a requirement for building QEMU.

Okay, if you as the Python maintainer say so, I'll gladly follow your
advice.

Maybe we can modify iotests so that it just skips Python tests if the
minimum version isn't available to keep the impact of deviating from the
global minimum version as small as possible. Of course, this will only
be necessary if your proposal to make 3.5 the minimum for all of QEMU is
rejected.

Kevin