qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Greetings qemu folks

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Greetings qemu folks
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:01:55 +0100

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 at 17:56, John Snow <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 9/7/19 9:58 AM, Toe Dev wrote:
> > 2) My main target is to output a lot of this to console cause I new to qemu
> > and I want fast                    feedback on stuff like this. I try start
> > qemu with -D option but the log files never have been              written
> > by qemu, but either no success.
> >

> QEMU doesn't output a lot of information by default, `-D` might be kind
> of misleading. (Actually, I've never used it...)

-D just sets the filename for output of -d debug logging. It won't
actually log anything there unless you use the -d option to specify
what to log.

The -d logs are largely useful for doing TCG (emulation) development
work; if KVM is what you care about then tracepoints are probably
more helpful. (Tracepoints work with TCG as well.)

thanks
-- PMM