qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/4] Docs patches

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/4] Docs patches
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 08:13:29 -0500

On 9/6/19 4:24 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

>> I'm going to apply this, but something I thought of looking at
>> the diffstat: should some or all of this be in the docs/devel
>> manual rather than free-floating rst files in the root directory?
>
> The answer really hinges on whether moving CODING_STYLE into the
> docs/devel directory will make it less obvious to users.

A git symlink would allow us to keep the file at the top level (for easy
location while browsing the repository) as well as under docs (for easy
incorporation into the doc build recipes).  I don't know if tooling
would require the original in one place (forcing the other to be the
link), or if you can do it in either direction.

> So we could just move CODING_STYLE into the docs/devel dir and link
> to it from a CONTRIBUTING.md (well .rst) file.

A textual link in an actual file is slightly different than a git
symlink, but yes, that would probably also work (even if it requires
chasing through one more layer of files).

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226