qemu-block

Convert VMDK to RAW

From: janine.schneider
Subject: Convert VMDK to RAW
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 17:12:14 +0100

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am a PhD student at the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg in Bavaria, Germany and am currently working on a forensic reconstruction tool. The tool can be used to analyze physical and virtual hard disks and to reconstruct files. I would now like to extend the tool so that it is able to analyze VMDK files and convert them to raw. Unfortunately I have not been able to understand how to correctly unpack and assemble VMDK containers. Since qemu is able to convert VMDK to raw, I wanted to ask you if you could explain to me how to put the grains together?

Many thanks and greetings

Janine Schneider