Hello world example with qemu-system-arm

From: James Gutbub
Subject: Hello world example with qemu-system-arm
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 12:48:37 -0700

Hello,

I am digging into qemu-system-arm to try and execute some simulation environment unit tests with no underlying board/device interaction, at most I need semihosting to print out some results.

The intended target for my hello world using arm-none-eabi-gcc is Cortex-R5F (e.g. -mcpu=cortex-r5 -mfpu=vfpv3-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard).

I am not finding a way to successfully execute my hello world example using ‘qemu-system-arm -cpu cortex-r5f -M none -nographic -semihosting’ and the payload variants below:

-bios hello.bin (hello.bin created using arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O binary hello.elf hello.bin)

-bios hello.elf

-device loader,file=hello.elf

I also did try using ‘-M virt’ (without -cpu=cortex-r5f because it is not supported by the virt board) and connected to an arm-none-eabi-gdb session (added ‘-S -s’ to qemu-system-arm and arm-none-eabi-gdb hello.elf -> target remote localhost:1234) but c/s doesn’t progress my execution successfully.

I am trying to achieve CPU simulation and avoid board modeling or if there is some basic board which can support Cortex-R5F in which I can run my hello world (and eventually my unit tests) I believe qemu-system-arm is more than capable to provide this type of testing environment.

Are there any examples you could refer me to to complete a basic hello world test using Cortex-R5F with qemu-system-arm?

Or if qemu-arm might be an option I could use that instead (I faced some issues when trying to use it), are there any examples I could refer to? I am running in CentOS Stream 8 if it matters here on an x86_64 host.

Kind Regards,

James G