Re: Analysis of slow distro boots in check-avocado (BootLinuxAarch64.tes

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Analysis of slow distro boots in check-avocado (BootLinuxAarch64.test_virt_tcg*)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 11:11:31 +0000

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 11:53:28AM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> On 23/2/22 10:19, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 at 17:33, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
> > <philippe.mathieu.daude@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > We need the DEBUG profile to ensure the bios-tables-tests work.
> > >
> > > If you want to boot a guest using EDK2, you should use the images
> > > build by your distribution (/usr/share/qemu/edk2-aarch64-code.fd),
> > > not these images.
> >
> > Do we have any other images in pc-bios that are silently
> > "do not use these images, they are only for a very specific
> > test case and nothing else" ?
>
> I might try to move that to test/. Gerd, are you OK with that?
>
> > Also, "make install" installs these EDK2 images, which doesn't
> > seem like the right thing for "this is only for one test case".
>
> Well I'd prefer we never had them installed. Today I don't remember
> why it ended that way. Gerd, similarly, are you OK with not installing
> these images (after a 2 release deprecation warning)?

If we didn't install them, wouldn't that mean people using QEMU upstream
would not have all the pieces needed to use AAch64 virt, without now
building EDK2 themselves. That feels wrong/bad to me, given we ship
firmware needed to use everything else.

I don't disagree with recommendation that most people are better off
using distro built QEMU + EDK, but if someone chooses to use a upstream
QEMU I feel it ought to come with firmware needed to make it work with
all targets we support.

Regards,
Daniel