Re: xilinx-zynq-a9: cannot set up guest memory 'zynq.ext_ram'

From: David Hildenbrand
Subject: Re: xilinx-zynq-a9: cannot set up guest memory 'zynq.ext_ram'
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:47:01 +0200

On 20.08.21 17:44, Igor Mammedov wrote:
On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:39:27 +0100
Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 15:34, David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com> wrote:

On 20.08.21 16:22, Bin Meng wrote:
Hi Philippe,

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 10:10 PM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
<philmd@redhat.com> wrote:

Hi Bin,

On 8/20/21 4:04 PM, Bin Meng wrote:
Hi,

The following command used to work on QEMU 4.2.0, but is now broken
with QEMU head.

$ qemu-system-arm -M xilinx-zynq-a9 -display none -m 40000000
-nographic -serial /dev/null -serial mon:stdio -monitor null -device
loader,file=u-boot-dtb.bin,addr=0x4000000,cpu-num=0
qemu-system-arm: cannot set up guest memory 'zynq.ext_ram': Cannot
allocate memory

-m 40000000

corresponds to 38 TB if I am not wrong. Is that really what you want?

Probably not, because the zynq board's init function does:

     if (machine->ram_size > 2 * GiB) {
         error_report("RAM size more than 2 GiB is not supported");
         exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
     }

It seems a bit daft that we allocate the memory before we do
the size check. This didn't use to be this way around...

Anyway, I think the cause of this change is commit c9800965c1be6c39
from Igor. We used to silently cap the RAM size to 2GB; now we
complain. Or at least we would complain if we hadn't already
tried to allocate the memory and fallen over...

That's because RAM (as host resource) is now separated
from device model (machine limits) and is allocated as
part of memory backend initialization (in this case
'create_default_memdev') before machine_run_board_init()
is run.

Maybe we can consolidate max limit checks in
create_default_memdev() by adding MachineClass::max_ram_size
but that can work only in default usecase (only '-m' is used).

We do have a workaround for s390x already: mc->fixup_ram_size

That should be called before the memory backend is created and seems to do just what we want, no?

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb