Re: Guest has not initialized the display (yet).

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Guest has not initialized the display (yet).
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 15:18:58 +0100

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 10:04, Prabhnoor Ghuman
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Over the last couple of days, I have been trying to run a QEMU system due to
> a server that I was setting up. I wanted to protect my actual computer from
> anything malicious that could get onto it due to a person being able to
> upload. The speed wasn't great and I realised the problem was likely the fact
> that the x86_64 emulator doesn't allow for multithreading TCG (well I can't
> find anything saying it does anyway), and I had the option enabled. I
> therefore decided I could go use a different architecture because the
> operating system I would like to use is openSUSE, and it supports aarch64 as
> well. I have an installer ISO and a QCOW2 disk image. I tried booting the
> system and then the error came up: "Guest has not initialized the display
> (yet)".

This isn't an error. It's just telling you that the guest has
not yet done anything to cause graphics to be displayed yet.
Usually that's because the guest doesn't have support for
the graphics device or it's not been configured to put out
graphical output at all, or because the guest has just crashed
without doing anything.

> Here are the command line parameters I am using at the moment:
>
> qemu-system-aarch64 -cdrom
> "C:\Users\GHU0002\Downloads\openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-aarch64-Snapshot20200421-Media.iso"
>  -drive file=Drive.qcow2 -m 2G -smp 4 -machine sbsa-ref -usbdevice tablet
> -net nic -net user -accel tcg,thread=multi -vga xenfb -display gtk

The major thing you're missing here is that you haven't
specified a firmware/bios (UEFI) image. This machine won't
boot without one.

Why are you using 'xenfb' ? I wouldn't really expect that to
work except in a Xen specific setup; you're more likely to
have success with either virtio graphics or with a normal
pci vga device.

The other option would be to not use graphics at all and
just get the guest to use a serial console.

I've cc'd the sbsa-ref maintainers to see if they have a
good tutorial/basic command line to start with.

> Sidenote: I am using the 'sbsa-ref' machine because it is the only one that
> seemed to support everything I needed: 4 Cores, 2GB RAM, USB, and a CD drive.
> If it is just a problem with the machine, please suggest another that I can
> use.

Since your list doesn't include "graphics" the 'virt'
board is another one that you could try, if you're happy
with only serial. (You'll still need to provide it with
either a UEFI bios image file or a kernel to boot, though:
it won't boot if provided with only a cdrom iso file.)

You might also find that using libvirt/virt-manager
rather than running QEMU directly is an easier approach
since it will generally know what devices it needs to put
on the command line to get a working setup.

thanks
-- PMM