[Qemu-arm] '-M virt -cpu cortex-a7'

From: ratna manoj
Subject: [Qemu-arm] '-M virt -cpu cortex-a7'
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 11:16:07 +0000

Hi,

$> qemu-3.1.0/build/arm-softmmu/qemu-system-arm -M virt -cpu help|grep
cortex-a7
  cortex-a7
$>

As shown above 'virt' machine type lists 'cortex-a7' as supported processor,
but when I try to load a  kernel with -cpu cortext-a7 option it says:

qemu-system-arm: mach-virt: CPU type cortex-a7-arm-cpu not supported

This is because of the check for valid_cpus in hw/arm/virt.c, where cortex-a7
is not listed.

From hw/arm/virt.c:
static const char *valid_cpus[] = {
    ARM_CPU_TYPE_NAME("cortex-a15"),
    ARM_CPU_TYPE_NAME("cortex-a53"),
    ARM_CPU_TYPE_NAME("cortex-a57"),
    ARM_CPU_TYPE_NAME("cortex-a72"),
    ARM_CPU_TYPE_NAME("host"),
    ARM_CPU_TYPE_NAME("max"),
};

If I add   "ARM_CPU_TYPE_NAME("cortex-a7")," to the above array, it works and I
get correct CPU type as I see it in /proc/cpuinfo.

Is my change make sense ?  Thanks.