Re: [Qemu-arm] Warning when DTB memory nodes are noped

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] Warning when DTB memory nodes are noped
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 14:49:36 +0000

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 at 14:42, Jünger, Lukas
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If I understand correctly, all memory nodes contained in a DTB passed
> via the -dtb option are noped in hw/arm/boot.c:556-568.
> I did not expect this to happen and only figured it out by debugging
> the kernel.
> Do you think a warning should be issued if a DTB contains memory
> regions that are noped?

No, because generally we expect that to happen: the DTB will
have a memory node for whatever the stock amount of RAM on the
target board is, but we want to delete that so we can replace
it with a memory node saying that the system has however much
RAM the user asked for on the command line.

Was the deletion of the memory node actually wrong in your case?
If so we should look at fixing the wrong behaviour, rather than
just being noisier about what we're doing...

thanks
-- PMM