pspp-users

Re: Percentile Scores

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: Percentile Scores
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 10:46:13 -0500

When I was a young analyst, someone asked if the percentiles I'd provided were calculated the "right way" or the "wrong way." Using the cumulative percents is the "wrong way" (obviously, for some values of "wrong").

The "right way" (for some values of "right" or "correct") calculates the percentile of the midpoint of the score category and will never be exactly 0 nor exactly 100.

I calculate percentiles that way. I take the values of the frequency table and copy them into a spreadsheet.

percentile = ( 0.5 * COUNT + BELOW ) / TOTAL

where COUNT is the frequency of the current score category, BELOW is the cumulative count of cases with lower scores, and TOTAL is the total number of cases.

BTW, the other problem that arises is that some scores will be missing. This is less an issue for OP who just wants percentiles for his participants/students. One solution is to a single "pseudo count" person to ever score category (so it's COUNT+1 and BELOW and TOTAL include these "pseudo" people). I think this is Laplace smoothing.

-Alan