pspp-users

Re: no more PSPP for Windows?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: no more PSPP for Windows?
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 16:57:21 +0200

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 11:59:41AM -0600, ajk-eis wrote:

     All that being said, I do believe it should be a priority to provide a
     Windows binary for Windows 10, possibly in x86 and x64 flavors, but not
     more than that.??

As I think I previously mentioned, non-free systems such as Windows are
always going to have the *lowest* priority.   However if somebody has an
interest in supporting those nobody is going to stand in the way.

     With a bit more information I might be willing to
     attempt that without any support or liability.?? No promises though.

Building for windows is in principle no more difficult than for any
other target.  You simply need a compiler/linker targetting the
particular windows variant you want.   However because of the peculiar
way in which Windows works, when most people talk about "a windows
binary" they also want:

1.  Prebuilt depdendent libraries.  Building these can be frustrating.
However there is a script (Windows/build-dependencies) which takes a
lot of the pain away.

2.  An "installer", to automajically put the binaries, libraries and
data in the appropriate places without the user being aware this is
happening.  Fortunately Harry did most of the work here, so we
incorporated into the master source. Simply run "make Windows/installers"

3.  Support (which you said you wouldn't provide!).  To a certain extent
this is true for all users, but my perception is that Windows users seem
to be less willing to diagnose and fix their own issues.

J'