pspp-users

RE: Other Free SPSS Alternatives

From: Muenchen, Robert A (Bob)
Subject: RE: Other Free SPSS Alternatives
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 18:46:28 +0000

Hi ftr,

Very interesting! I've never heard of ViSta or Tanagra, but I'll definitely
take a look at them. As you can see from my regularly-updated web page, I'm
just slightly obsessed with data science software:
http://r4stats.com/articles/popularity/.

In the open-source data mining realm, KNIME has much to recommend it. It hooks
into many other open source tools. However, it's particularly weak in
statistical analysis. I sent them a list of over 40 tests it lacks & those are
on their future roadmap, but at the rate they're going, it'll take years to
catch up with SPSS.

I completely agree with you on the importance of output management. That's one
of the topics that clearly separates BlueSky from jamovi. BlueSky uses R's
"Tidyverse" and "broom" functions to do things like perform regression by a
categorical variable, then output 3 different data sets, one at the model level
(e.g. r**2) one at the parameter level (betas, p-values, etc) and one at the
observation level (predicted value, measures of influence, etc.)   All its
modeling methods, statistical and machine learning, can be used to make
predictions on the same or new data sets.

It has been a while since I tried Mondrian. As I recall, it did a beautiful job
on categorical visualization, but little else way back when I tried it last.
I'll take another look.

SPSS & SAS offer modern methods for imputing missing values, but when it comes
to point-and-click competition, support is weak across the board. I pointed
this out to the BlueSky developers & they say they'll add support for R's
Simputation package in their January release:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/simputation/vignettes/intro.html .
Simputation acts as front-end to many other R packages, so that should provide
a wide range of options.

I have to confess that I didn't look into categorical methods very thoroughly.
I'll see if I can't add that to my review template (missing value too).

Cheers,
Bob