pspp-users

Re: PSPP Regression with /noorigin

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: PSPP Regression with /noorigin
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 18:22:30 +0200

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 07:39:45AM +0000, Hulliger Beat wrote:

     Last week a student asked me whether he should eliminate the intercept in
a simple linear regression when it is not significantly different from 0. Yes,
I said: It is very simple to remove it in PSPP. How wrong was I! There is no
option /NOORIGIN in the PSPP Regression procedure.

     I have seen the discussions about this issue and the corresponding
proposals. I tried GLM but no coefficients are output. I tried with dummies but
a bit of algebra convinced me that this does not work.  I thought the simplest
thing is to delete the column of ones in the design matrix. I have downloaded
the code and looked into linreg.c. Of course, things are a bit more complicated
than it seems at first. Say, my knowledge of C is not enough to venture into
the code.

Unfortunately the author who contributed the regression code is no longer
active in PSPP.

What happens when you try removing the ones column?  Does it do anything
reasonable?

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3