pspp-users

RE: CTABLES

From: Crichton, Ronald
Subject: RE: CTABLES
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 20:43:09 +0000

I’m posting this from what you might consider ‘bystander status’ only.  I read the posts because I once used PSPP regularly.  I never used PSPP as a statistical tool but used it to assist me in manipulating data.  I work at an educational institution and my job as statistics officer is more about passing on student data than doing any research.  (I suspect most of the people I provide information to would not know a statistical test if it got off the paper and bit them on the bum.)  As part of the job I need summary information of our enrolments for my own needs and in response from requests from others (mainly counts or sums, sometimes means or percentages) and never more sophisticated than that.

PSPP has limited capability to summarise data in the way I need it.  It worked very well to manipulate data. Consequently, I persuaded my boss to buy SPSS.  I wanted SPSS because of my previous experience in SPSS using TABLES, and that was the prime reason form moving away from PSPP to SPSS.  Unfortunately, SPSS does not offer TABLES and has implemented CTABLES instead.

I have to admit to not being particularly impressed by CTABLES.  Perhaps I just need more practice using it as some of the SPSS gurus think it’s the bees knees.  I much preferred the old TABLES that I used to use with SPSS v10.  I prefer to write code that point and click, and CTABLES is bit of a challenge in that regard whereas TABLES was quite simple.

I will move back to PSPP when a version of (C)TABLES is installed.

Regards,  Ron