pspp-users

Re: First time user question

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: First time user question
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 06:15:04 +0000

The short answer to your question is Yes.

The longer answer is: Yes, but you will probably need to download a
seperate PSPP/SPSS tutorial too.  The documentation currently included
with PSPP is more of a reference manual rather than tutorial documentation.
This is because the primary purpose of PSPP is to treat the addiction of
people who feel they cannot use anything bug spss.  If you suffer from
no such addiction, then although you might find PSPP useful, you have
several other alternatives.

Although I am a great proponent of PSPP, if you have never used a statistics
package before, I would recommend that you consider other free statistics
packages too.  For example, R, Gretl and SOFA are free packages which have
a good reputation.

PSPP however is probably the best choice if one of the following apply to you:

* For some reason you HAVE to learn an spss-like package.  For example if you
are
  taking a course in statistics at a university and your school has imposed this
  restriction upon you.

* You need to process EXTREMELY large amounts of data.  PSPP does this better
than
  any of the others.

* You need to read/write spss compatible data files.

J'