pspp-users

Re: Newbie: Mac 10.4.11 & Syntax

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Newbie: Mac 10.4.11 & Syntax
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:41:47 -0700

Lee <address@hidden> writes:

> So, here's my question, if I want to ask the group for help, how much
> or little of the terminal log (is that right?) should I include with
> the message? Some of this goes on for pages, and I don't really know
> what the important parts are to pass along and show people to ask for
> help. Thanks

It doesn't really hurt to send all of it, unless it's hundreds of
kilobytes.  If you omit part of it, it might be the important
part, but if you include all of it, the worst that could happen
is that someone has to spend a fraction of a second longer
downloading the email.

> #2) I did get PSPP installed on a Windows XP machine, (piece of cake)
> and discovered the syntax "entry" screen, and I know about the user
> manual.  What I don't know, and can't find anywhere, (including
> looking through about two dozen unix books to try to get some idea,)
> is what a syntax command should look like. Could someone send me,
> please, some very simple syntax text, with an explanation of what it
> does, so I can see how I should enter things?

Did you look at the PSPP manual?  It includes a full syntax reference.
http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/documentation.html

There is a tutorial in the 0.7.x development version of PSPP.
I don't anyone has put it on the web in a nicely formatted
version, but you can kind of read it here:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/pspp.git/tree/doc/tutorial.texi
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org