pspp-users

Re: Variables with multiple answers - How do I code them?

From: john
Subject: Re: Variables with multiple answers - How do I code them?
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 08:41:40 +0000

The way I would do this is to have a variable for each of the 3 job preferences.
Then apply value labels for each of the possible job choices.
This can be done with a syntax like the following:

input program.
numeric jobpref1.
numeric jobpref2.
numeric jobpref3.
end file.
end input program.

variable label jobpref1 'First job choice'.
variable label jobpref2 'Second job choice'.
variable label jobpref3 'Third job choice'.

value labels jobpref1 jobpref2 jobpref3 1 'bucher' 2 'baker' 3 'grocer' 4
'carpenter' 5 'statistician'.

display dictionary.
execute.

At this level, PSPP should work exactly the same as SPSS.   If you find that it
doesn't, please
report it.

Hope this helps.

John