pspp-users

Re: Building PSPP on a Mac

From: Richard Brittain
Subject: Re: Building PSPP on a Mac
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:53:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Ben Pfaff wrote:

Richard Brittain <address@hidden> writes:

Building PSPP on Mac OSX

Also, John Darrington pointed out that recently a binary package
for PSPP has appeared at:
http://www.evolutionbeach.org/2008/10/stats-for-students-pspp.html

This looks great, except that unless I'm missing something, it
contains only the executables (for i386) and no shared libraries.
Even if all the prerequsite shared libraries are assumed present,
don't we need libpsppire.dylib and libpsppwidgets.dylib too ?

You may be right--I'm don't know much about OS X (never used it),
and I didn't even download the packaging he provided.  If it
doesn't work, it's probably a good idea to email the packager
directly; he was very responsive to my own email.

I'll do that. I know nothing about building Mac installers the 'proper' way, but it occurred to me that I could probably build pspp with all the necessary run-time libraries in /usr/local/lib/pspp (once I've figured out what they are), and then it would be effectively 'stand-alone' and installable on a system without any macports tree. The harder problem is installing on a system with out-of-date libraries which get found first.

On the libtool issue, I was wondering just what that gets used for. I noticed that pspp creates its own (shell script) libtool, when configure is run. OSX also comes with /usr/bin/libtool, inherited from the BSD side of things, which seems to be a functionally similar tool, but maybe not identical. I found at least one explicit reference to "./libtool" -- I hope that no part of the build scripts pull in the system libtool accidentally. I'll try rebuilding with the new tarball. It did occur to me that it was odd that I needed to explicitly set the path to /usr/local/lib/pspp/*.dylib.

I also noticed that other pieces of Unix-derived software had installed miscellaneous .so files on my system, so pspp isn't unique in that regard. The makefiles from Macports all create .dylib files though

--
Richard Brittain,  Kiewit Computing Services, 6224 Baker/Berry Library
                   Dartmouth College, Hanover NH 03755