pspp-users

Re: Linux Journal claims SAS/JMP and R are the only stat packages for Li

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Linux Journal claims SAS/JMP and R are the only stat packages for Linux
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 12:34:30 -0700

Kevin Cole <address@hidden> writes:

> The September 2006 issue of the Linux Journal has an article
> on page 82: "64-Bit JMP for Linux", by Erin Vang of SAS
> (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8902). In the article she
> claims:
>
>   "Besides JMP, the only statistical software available
>   on the Linux desktop today is an open-source product
>   called R."
>
> I'm writing an "FYI" letter to the editor mentioning PSPP.

Thanks for pointing PSPP out.  PSPP is not particularly mature at
the moment, so I don't want to promote it as a general-purpose
statistical solution yet, but it is improving as time goes on.

> P.S. I found PSPP recently while looking for a description of
>      SPSS .por files.  I'd like to generate such files from a
>      PostgreSQL database or flat file using Python.  (I gather
>      R can also do that.)

I assume that you found the portable file format description in
the PSPP documentation?  Please let us know if you find any
mistakes or gaps in the description, so that we can improve on
it.
--
Ben Pfaff
email: address@hidden