poke-devel

Automatic Poke

From: Philippe Marchesseault
Subject: Automatic Poke
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 20:38:35 -0500

Hello all,

I am starting a new project that will make use of libPoke. It is a tool that will try to automatically reverse engineer the structure of a collection of opaque blobs. The idea is that if you have enough blobs with the same structure, you can have the computer try grammar permutations that fit the blob collection. The tool will generate a portion of Poke grammar for you to modify and improve on.

The workflow I have in mind is this:
1-Organize your blobs by grammar.
2-Run the tool, it will generate grammar. Maybe with different choices?
3-Edit the generated grammar
4-Repeat step 2

Nice Features:
- User provides hints of data you know is in the blob (from log files, visual inspection, ...)
- Automatically detect embedded files with magic headers
-...

I hope to generate the grammars in the Poke DSL, and use the libPoke VM to interpret and apply the grammars to multiple blobs and score how they perform. How should I go about this? Is this even a good idea? Does it make sense?

Thank you for your feedback!
Philippe