poke-devel

Re: GNU poke 1.0 released

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: GNU poke 1.0 released
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 14:09:55 +0100

Hello Jose,

Op 26-02-2021 om 11:17 schreef Jose E. Marchesi:
> The tarball poke-1.0.tar.gz is now available at
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/poke/poke-1.0.tar.gz.

In the POT file I noticed this:

    msgid " cutoff should be between 0 and 15.\n"

An error message that starts with a space and ends with a period...
That is probably not right.

Looking into poke/pk-cmd-ios.c and poke/pk-cmd-set.c I several "error: "
strings and subsequent error messages that are not wrapped in _() calls.
Some of those error messages begin with a space or end in a period, but
others don't.  I think they should all have the same form?  No leading
space, and no period.

    msgid "For help, type \""

This is unfortunate.  Some languages translate "" to «» or „”, but here the
closing \" is not part of this translatable string and will thus remain ".
To make a program translatable, each message needs to be gettextized in its
entirety, not in fragments.  Would it be possible to construct the message
upfront so that the gettextized string becomes _("For help, type \"%s\"")
or something similar?

I see that you use the `' quoting style instead of ''.  That is fine by me,
but the GNU coding standards advice against it:

    https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Quote-Characters.html

Benno