poke-devel

Re: [RFC] Convention for multi-line pretty-printed output

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: [RFC] Convention for multi-line pretty-printed output
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 22:49:47 +0200

    > All you have to do is to add a method called _print to your struct type,
    > that should get no arguments and should return no value.

    Hm, speaking of this: wouldn't it be handy to have the _print function
    return the formatted string instead of printing it directly? This could
    be useful for (probably) a number of things, but of the top of my head I
    guess it could be useful for nested structs (i.e. a struct Foo has a
    member struct Bar, Bar already has a pretty printer, and then Foo could
    pretty print itself and potentially mess with Bar's output or just
    wouldn't have to call printf multiple times).

I thought about that.  Returning a string would have the advantage of
pvm_print_val to do stuff with the string, such as indentation.

However, the big problem is that currently Poke strings are not
"enriched", i.e. it is not possible to convey styling/formatting
information in a string.

Maybe this would be a good motivation to support text properties in
strings...