po4a-dev

[Po4a-dev] Version 0.13: "housekeeping is good when you want to invite p

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: [Po4a-dev] Version 0.13: "housekeeping is good when you want to invite people home"
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:30:33 +0100

Hello,

Since it looks like people are about to look at my code, I cleaned it a bit.

Here is the associated changelog:
=================================

po4a (0.13) unstable; urgency=low

  * The "housekeeping is good when you want to invite people home" version.

  * TransTractor: Internals cleanup:
    - translate_wrapped() don't exist anymore, and translate() take extra
      arguments to specify if we want to wrap.
    - For internals data in the object, transtractor now use TT (it used to
      use DOC).
    - Set the package version only in this file, and not in all.
  * Po.pm:  Internals cleanup:
    - push_wrapped() and gettext_wrapped() disapeared also.
  * All modules: Adapt to last changes in TransTractor.pm
  * New module: Chooser.pm
    This is not a new format, but functions to manage all formats in the
    same place.
    Before, when I added a module, I had to change all binaries to take it
    into account.
    Now, all binaries use this module to access format modules.
  * Man.pm: cosmetic changes, to make it readable by others.
  * Sgml.pm:
    - New dtd: docbook.
    - Should work even in case of conditional inclusion (string references in
      po files will be wrong in that case).

    - Generated source is better looking

    - ups, added "use strict;" ;)
    - Don't use SGMLS::Output anymore. This is an old piece of crap producing
      tons of warnings when used under perl -w.
    - remove debuging output

 -- Martin Quinson <address@hidden>  Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:49:52
+0100

Remaining problems with sgml.pm (from Locale::Po4a::Sgml(3perl))
===============================

STATUS OF THIS MODULE
       The result is perfect. Ie, the generated documents are exactly the
       same. But there is still some problems:

       · the error output of nsgmls is redirected to /dev/null, which is
         clearly bad. I dunno how to avoid that.

         The problem is that I have to "protect" the conditionnal inclusion
         (ie, the "<! [ %blah [" and "]]>" stuff) from nsgml, because in the
         other case, nsgmls eat them, and I dunno how to restore them in the
         final document. To prevent that, I rewrite them to "{PO4A-beg-blah}"
         and "{PO4A-end}".

         The problem with this is that the "{PO4A-end}" and such I add are
         valid in the document (not in a <p> tag or so).

         Everything works well with nsgmls's output redirected that way, but
         it will prevent us to detect that the document is badly formated.

       · It does work only with the debiandoc and docbook dtd. Adding support
         for a new dtd should be very easy. The mecanism is the same for all
         dtd, you just have to give a list of the existing tags and some of
         their characteristics.

         I agree, this needs some more documentation, but it is still consid-
         ered as beta, and I hate to document stuff which may/will change.

       · Warning, support for dtds is quite experimental. I did not read any
         reference manual to find the definition of all tags. I did add tag
         definition to the module 'till it works for some documents I found on
         the net. If your document use more tags than mine, it won't work. But
         as I said above, fixing that should be quite easy.

         I did test docbook against the SAG (System Administrator Guide) only,
         but this document is quite big, and should use most of the docbook
         specificities.

         For debiandoc, I tested some of the manual of the DDP, but not all
         yet.

       · In case of file inclusion, string reference of messages in po files
         (ie, lines like "#: en/titletoc.sgml:9460") will be wrong.

         This is because I preprocess the file to protect the conditional
         inclusion (ie, the "<! [ %blah [" and "]]>" stuff) and some entities
         (like &version;) from nsgmls because I want them verbatim to the gen-
         erated document. For that, I make a temp copy of the input file and
         do all the changes I want to this before passing it to nsgmls for
         parsing.

         So that it works, I replace the entities asking for a file inclusion
         by the content of the given file (so that I can protect what needs to
         in subfile also). But nothing is done so far to correct the refer-
         ences (ie, filename and line number) afterward. I'm not sure what the
         best thing to do is.

Availability

Yet another address:
http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~mquinson/deb.html#po4a

(once the web server is back up)

Thanks, Mt.

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
          --- Isaac Asimov