po4a-dev

Re: [Po4a-dev] Status report of po-debconf

From: Denis Barbier
Subject: Re: [Po4a-dev] Status report of po-debconf
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:05:45 +0200

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:31:03PM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
[...]
> But I think that when it's done, it should be done using the po4a tools. So,
> I'm not sure if we should split up po files here. I mean, why to do
> debian/po-templates
> debian/po-control
> debian/po-???
> [and by the way, debian/po-debconf is more clear that po-templates]
> debian/po, with a "big" po both for control and template files per language
> should be ok, don't you think so?

Ok, I'll give it a try.

> > debconf2po:
[...]
> What about debconf-gettextize ?

I did not want to pollute debconf namespace, but after all, why not?
And ok for -ungettextize too.

> > debconf2po-update
> >   * Read po-templates/POTFILES.in
> >   * Parse files found in po-templates/POTFILES.in
> >   * Generate po-templates/templates.pot
> >   * Merge po-templates/templates.pot with existing po-templates/*.po
>
> So, it's a wrapper to debconf2pot and msgmerge, isn't ?

No, directly to intltool-update so that it does not need any argument.

[...]
> > Here is my current roadmap:
> >   * Add patched intltool scripts until they are shipped by upstream
> >   * Add regression tests
> >   * Write documentation
> >   * Debianize it and send an ITP
>
> Why don't you want to get dh_installpodebconf integrated to dh_*, and other
> wrapping tools added to debconf-utils ?

Don't you learn lessons?  SHOW US YOUR CODE ;)

This is my intention, and when this scheme is going to be used, Joey Hess
could integrate these tools if he wants.

> How do you plan to call this ?

po-debconf ;)

[...]

Thanks for your comments, I will continue to improve its interface
and send another report later.  But note that it is near to complete,
so I will certainly send an ITP next week.

Denis