Re: [Phptest-users] online testing patented? implications for phptest?

From: TW
Subject: Re: [Phptest-users] online testing patented? implications for phptest?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:33:12 -0700

Well, first off I think the fact that online testing has been around for
more than 10 years will kybosh any patent enforcement as it would fall into
the category of  "previous art". There are a few other loopholes in the
patent as well, generally speaking I would think that this would not survive
a good argument in court but funnier things have happened in a court of law.
This patent also only applies to a "per fee" schedule, so if the test is
free you don't have anything to worry about. I think this is just some sort
of strong-arm tactic to make a quick buck and probably won't survive a
direct challenge by a large corp like microsoft, who does online testing. I
can't see them paying for a license to do something they were doing for
free, but one never knows.....
At any rate, worst comes to worst, there are other countries where US patent
laws do not have any effect, so someone could just host their tests
somewhere else.