Re: [Phptest-users] online testing patented? implications for phptest?

From: John Lacey
Subject: Re: [Phptest-users] online testing patented? implications for phptest?
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 06:29:01 -0700

Here's another article on patents that addresses streaming media
infringements.

With SCO hiring David Boies to go after organizations who have
apparently used SCO's Unix IPR, this is merely a harbinger of litigation
that will eventually find its way to the GPL itself, imho.

I wonder if taking the route of condemning property for the public good
as practiced in the area of rights-of-way to construct an interstate is
expedient at this juncture.  Certain technologies that enable day-to-day
conducting of business over the Internet highway are so pervasive that
condemnation of patents for eminent domain may offer some relief.  No
matter how you slice it, there are any number of ways for abuse.
Perhaps a re-work of some of the antiquated patent laws are called for.
How about this one -- as a taxpayer, I've funded the U.S. government's
efforts in building the Internet.  Granted, I had may have had no direct
involvement, but there is a "company or two" that wants to have their
cake and eat it too so far as riding on the highway and collecting
tolls.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-983552.html?tag=fd_lede2_hed