[Phptest-users] scalabilty

From: G . J . Tielemans
Subject: [Phptest-users] scalabilty
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:54:01 +0100

I created 6 tests on a personal pc(windowsXP) with foxserv/phptest.
I then took the directory with the tests and moved them to another
foxserv/phptestmachine (Windows2K)
Then I exported the dataset for phptest using a phpMyadmin-window and beamed
it up to a phpmyadmin-window on a Redhat Linux server: everything still
works fine. (I am impressed)

What I like in this data-model is that you put the pictures also in the
database, so no loosing pictures during transport.

But this same model makes me also worry: what if I put all tests for all
4000 students (8 schools x 6 years x 12 subjects x lets say 20 test-sets
each year...)
- how big will this database become?
- where does it live during use on my system (working memory, some
hash-table, I am complete ignoarant in technics these days
)
Can you tell me a little about upscaling strategy?

---