Re: [Phptest-users] OT: Flash considered harmful? (was: Help with java

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: [Phptest-users] OT: Flash considered harmful? (was: Help with java and PHP timer for PHPTest)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:01:19 -0800

Dan Kegel wrote:
So at the moment, practically speaking, Flash is not evil for
the majority of users, but it is for the small minority who
use oddball browsers for which Macromedia does not make a Flash plugin.
Until Macromedia opens up the standard, which it has
no plans to do, Flash will always tend to discourage people from
using these other browsers.

Having opened my mouth, I decided to check my facts.  Turns
out there is an open source Flash player:
http://www.swift-tools.com/Flash/
So if you test against that player, and your page works,
you have some assurance that alternative browsers aren't locked out.

I do still have some accessibility qualms about Flash (e.g.
for blind users), but I think I've blathered enough about this.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com