Re: [Phptest-users] Minor bug adding test question

From: dank
Subject: Re: [Phptest-users] Minor bug adding test question
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 21:26:27 -0700

Brandon Tallent wrote:
> > There you have it: a web page with no content.
> > Mozilla's smart enough not to complain, but
> > Netscape gets upset ...
>
> > Can you replace that Refresh: with a Location:
> > header?  That ought to fix it.
> > Or better yet, don't make the browser do those extra
> > two transactions... why are they needed, anyway?
>
> The reason Refresh: is used instead of Location: is
> because with IIS if a cookie and redirect are sent in
> the same header, the cookie is completely ignored.
> Definitly an annoying bug but I use IIS for
> development so I've gotta have a workaround.

OK, workaround for buggy server, got it.  But couldn't
you set the cookie directly in the original response?
Perhaps it's easier with PHP to use redirects and refreshes
to get the browser to carry stuff for you from one PHP
page to another... whatever.  I guess I don't mind.

> The Set-Cookie header is sent twice intentionally, the
> first is to kill the old cookie with the value, and
> the second renews it with the current value.  The
> reason that add_muliple et al. redirects to set_cookie
> is to save the skill level dropdown, so if you are
> adding a bunch of questions for one particular type
> you don't have to keep changing the dropdown value.
>
> Netscape is incorrect to display the document contains
> no data page.  The page simply sets the cookie and
> sends a refresh to a different page, which is
> perfectly valid xhtml behaviour.  I'm suprised that
> the rest of phpTest works at all w/ netscape, that
> browser has major issues with CSS as well.  I don't
> plan to alter phptest at all to workaround netscape
> quirks.

I didn't know you didn't support netscape 4.x.

This particular quirk isn't too horrible; I can live with
it, since it only happens in admin mode.

Thanks for the info.
- Dan