phptest-devel

Re: [Phptest-devel] security and older interpreters

From: dj resonance
Subject: Re: [Phptest-devel] security and older interpreters
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 08:15:06 -0700 (PDT)

The PHP developers have stressed security for awhile
now, they just didn't turn on alot of the security
options by default (register_globals for example).
The fact is, code that doesn't use the $_POST, etc
variable can be written securely too, as long as it is
thought about up front.  Again, I don't see a reason
to switch to the new superglobal arrays because there
is no benefit to be gained from them.  Yes, webhosts
who are using later versions of phptest may have the
latest patches and security fixes, but changing all of
phptest to reflect the new superglobals would be dumb,
because it locks out the majority of users.  Also note
that I'm not using, nor have I come across any feature
I'd like to use that is post 4.1.0 only.  Let's just
keep the $HTTP_*_VARS variables.  Yes, security is
broader than just using aliases, but there is no
reason you can't write secure code with php < 4.1.0.

Brandon