[phpGroupWare-users] Postgres: poor performance...

From: Marco Gaiarin
Subject: [phpGroupWare-users] Postgres: poor performance...
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 18:02:23 +0200

I've just write about this some month ago, but now i've some more
things to say.

I've just installed my new server an Acer Altos G450, with two-core
Xeon at 2GHz and 2 Gig of DDR2 RAM.
I've also moved from debian sarge (php4, postgres 7.4) to debian etch
(php5, postgres 8.1).

To to an install as polite as possible, i've not restored the database
'blindly' but install a new instance of the database, and install data
table by table simply cleaning (delete from <table>;) and copying data
in (restoring also sequences, of course).
So pratically i've forced the setup of a new schema and relaod only
data.

Clarly passing from an old PIV with 512MB of ram to a Xeon some things
are better, but still addressbook are pratically unusable.

I've 1800+ adresses (not millions!) in addressbook, and still if i
select al the addresses (25 per page) i have to wait a second to have
the page drawn (top icon bar, left menu) and roughly two/three seconds
to have 25 addresses displayed.

Why?

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin                                 GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/