Re: [phpGroupWare-users] newby trying to instal phpgw on debian etch

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-users] newby trying to instal phpgw on debian etch
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:29:58 -0500

On 3/20/07, edo wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to install phpgw on debian etch, but without luck.

When I just do:
apt-get install phpgroupware
It installs packages like apache2 and mysql5 with it.
But afterwards there is nothing to be found at http://server/phpgroupware/setup

nothing as in a 404?  did the vhosts get enabled?

When I first install postgresql and than phpgroupware, I do get  the setup
screen but I say's my database is not correct setup.

IIRC, pgsql has its own separate pre-usage takes that need done, been
a while since I actually did a clean install of it though, a really
long while.   Mysql's defaults are usually useful enough though.

As I am a spoiled debian user who expects everything to work after doing a "apt-get
install ???", I don't know how to get this working correctly.

unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for those that get paid for it :D
), RDBMS and multiuser application servers are not simple enough for a
point-click-drool setup.

I now have tryed to set it up 10 times with different configurations, but it's
still not working.

Is there somewhere a "debian howto" on installing phpgw?
I have tryed to google but I can't find anything.

Have you tried the howto linked off the downloads page on the website?
with phpgw, the main difference between a deb install and a tarball
is that you replace the single apt-get install command with a single
tar -zxf.  And for updates, you replace a single apt-get update with a
single cvs update.  it really isn't much more work.

Are there any pro's or con's on the mysql or postgresql part?

from a phpgw support perspective?  none.  the standard pros/cons of
apply in general though